Sunday, June 30, 2013

Still on track (no pun intended...maybe)

So proud to say that I am still rocking with the fitness gods and working toward leading a healthier life. Thanks to Groupon, I've been able to find affordable gyms and fitness classes in my area that I love. I've been taking Zumba and boot camp classes twice a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. Before the temperature rose to a million degrees, I started walking and jogging every day for about an hour. I even ran my very first nonstop mile EVER! It was super exciting and I felt so accomplished. This week, I enrolled in a trial period at a kickboxing studio. I'm allowed 3 classes during the trial and I just attended my second one yesterday morning. I made the mistake of telling the instructor that I wasn't sore after the first class (he asked, I just answered honestly), so he kicked my ass during yesterday's session. I'm definitely feeling it today!

I picked up yoga again through the awesomeness of a website online where all videos are free. When I feel more confident in my poses and abilities, I would love to join a yoga studio somewhere nearby. I'm also planning to join a gym like Fitness 19 or Curves so that I can continue to improve my running without worrying about the heat outside. Seriously, it's not even 9am and it's already sweltering outside. Welcome to the high desert?

This journey in regaining my fitness and health has taught me to be patient with myself. I suffered for a lot of years because of unrealistic goals. If I didn't see results immediately, I quit. I gave up on myself. I haven't seen too many changes in the physical appearance of my body over the past month or so and, I admit, it sucks. I would love for the world to be able to notice how much hard work and dedication I've been putting into this, but ultimately, that's not important. I feel SO much stronger physically and mentally. I have something to look forward to in my day, especially since I haven't been working since the end of May. I could easily slip into a depression, but my new lifestyle doesn't allow for that. When I feel boredom or sadness creeping in, I grab my yoga mat and work it out or head to Zumba and dance it away. It works and I feel like I'm just a step closer to realizing my full potential.

I'm far from giving up.

No comments:

Post a Comment